- Find a Wish list
- Contact Us
- Full Site
- Board Books (0-2 yo)
- Staff Picks: Picture Books
- Read Alouds
- Unicorns, Mermaids and Princesses
- Things that Go!
- The Arts
- Young Readers (6yo-9yo)
- Fantasy (8-12yo)
- Mysteries (8-12yo)
- Middle Grade with Heart (8-12yo)
- Animal Lovers (8-12yo)
- Historical Fiction (8-12yo)
- Graphic Novels
- Hybrid Novels (Written text + graphics)
You are hereBack to top
The Hike: (Nature Book for Kids, Outdoors-Themed Picture Book for Preschoolers and Kindergarteners) (Hardcover)
Usually Ships in 1-5 Days
The Hike is a plucky and sweet adventure story about three intrepid young female explorers who set out to conquer the outdoors in their local forest.
This spirited picture book is filled with lyrical language that captures the majesty of the natural world, coupled with a fun narrative.
• Features a glossary and scientific backmatter
• Includes a sketchbook by one of the characters that highlights discoveries the girls make along the trail
• Abundant labels throughout for learning about various plants and animals
The Hike celebrates how fun and rewarding it is to explore nature in your own backyard!
This book is a must-have for budding scientists, best friends, and all adventurers in preschool and kindergarten.
• A wonderful gift for parents and grandparents of kids who like to explore outside
• Perfect for teachers and librarians looking for an outdoors-themed book
• Great for fans of We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Helen Oxenbury, The Bad Seed by Jory John, and We Are the Gardeners by Joanna Gaines
About the Author
Alison Farrell has a BA in painting and an MSE in art education. Her first book was Cycle City, and she lives in Portland, Oregon.
"Beautifully illustrated . . . This is a perfect addition to elementary school libraries to support readers who love the great outdoors."—School Library Journal—-
"These young explorers demonstrate the best principles of time spent in the woods: observing, admiring and learning. And, through their delightfully illustrated adventure, so do we."—The New York Times—-
"Well-designed pictures create a depth and fullness that immerse readers in the forest. Endmatter makes clever use of Wren's sketch pad to offer additional information about things seen in the woods. Utterly satisfying."—Kirkus Review, Starred—-
"[The Hike] is a delightful field guide for young outdoor enthusiasts, rich with everything from instructions on how to make a leaf basket for foraged berries to scientific labels and tips for identifying animal tracks, constellations, and moon phases. The illustrations represent a multiracial female cast of burgeoning botanists and naturalists enjoying the outdoors, including one particularly beautiful spread where the girls release collected bird feathers into the wind." -Booklist—-
"[A] lovely chronicle of an outdoor adventure... Readers may find it difficult to resist the call of the wild after closing the cover."—Publishers Weekly—-